9.02.2007

Less is More


This expression is applied a lot and for good reason. Recently I find that so many people, both men and women my age (late 20's, early 30's), are living beyond their means and their years. Let me explain -- I live in Sioux City. Not exactly the Big Apple or San Fran where young professionals seem to be racing to meet fashion, housing and entertainment standards beyond their budgets. Yet even in a midwestern town lovingly nicknamed "Sewer City" I meet people weekly who are my age adorned in Gucci, Coach, and Tiffany's items and they are struggling to pay their water bill! Come on people -- doesn't it make more sense to keep the lights on than wear the newest, goggle-sized sunglasses just because you saw it in a magazine? With winter around the corner I'm thinking my heat sounds better than cold, metal around my neck with some girl's name on it.

So enough of my soap-box -- just wanted to shed some light on the fact that although we may not have EVERYTHING we want (live-in masseuse, anyone?) we at least pay our bills on-time, in full, and don't have debt up to our eyeballs.

No comments: