7.01.2007

Bring Balance to Life & Home with Feng Shui



I have heard about Feng Shui for years now but have never really tried to arrange my house, office or life in that way. Seeing as how I was positiviely surprised by acupuncture I can't see why I shouldn't try Feng Shui since they are both ancient Chinese traditions. Feng Shui takes the basic elements of life (no...not sleep, beer & money)-- wind, water, earth, metal, fire & wood -- and artistically places them in a formation that enhances harmony and energy within a space.

Since most of us spend about 1/3 of our day in the bedroom I figured it would be a logical place to start. Two quick tips: Don't keep the TV in your bedroom (and if you do, cover the screen with a cloth when you head to bed) and don't keep your main work station or computer in your bedroom if you can avoid it. Both muddle the good Chi in your room and will be counter-productive to achieving a balanced space. Also, be sure to have your bed in "command" position -- meaning it is across the room from the door, flush with a wall for support, and takes the "main-stage" within the space. Now, add a little bamboo in a vase, some chanting music in the background, and a lemongrass-scented candle and I would say you were well on your way to peace and restoration.

The good thing is our room doesn't have far to go -- our bed is in the right place, we don't keep a TV in our bedroom, and if the computer makes it upstairs, it is typically shut down and unnoticeable once we head to bed. I DO however need a lemongrass candle... mmm, sounds so fresh -- I feel the need for a Target trip tomorrow! Maybe my next entry should be retail-therapy... is that a legitimate discipline? If only my insurance would cover it.

Happy Re-arranging! :)

Picture courtesy of: http://www.eco-furniture.com/

No comments: